If you think someone is overdosing, call 911 immediately. Learn more about the signs of overdose.

Get Help

People can and do recover from opioid addiction. We’ve made it easier for you to start or continue your recovery journey with the high-quality treatment resources described below.

Community Services Boards

The Commonwealth of Virginia has 40 locally operated Community Services Boards (CSBs) that provide mental health and substance use services, including outpatient and medication-assisted treatments, prevention strategies, educational opportunities, response to psychiatric emergencies, and more. These services are available whether or not you have insurance.

All of Virginia’s 40 CSBs offer medication-assisted treatment as part of the state’s response to the opioid crisis. Medication-assisted treatment combines medications, counseling, and behavioral therapies to help people with their recovery.

Find Your Local Community Services Board

Choose Your Current Location

Treatment and Referral Services

The free resources below can help you find mental health or substance use treatment near you.

  • Search for providers on FindTreatment.gov. Enter your ZIP code to search for providers who specialize in treating substance use disorders, addiction, and mental illness. This resource also offers general information about treatment and recovery.
  • Call or text SAMHSA’s National Helpline for mental health support and referrals for treatment centers, support groups, and community-based organizations. The confidential helpline is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Service is provided in English and Spanish.
  • Call the AliveRVA Warm Line at 833-473-3782 for referrals for treatment, recovery housing, shelters, food banks, and community resources. The Warm Line is available every day from 8 a.m. to midnight Eastern time.

Private Providers

A number of licensed private providers across the state offer treatment and support for substance use disorders and addiction. Most private providers take insurance or charge a fee for their services, similar to other medical specialists. Use this search locator to find a private provider.

Treatment and Recovery Support Groups

Support groups create a space for individuals to share their stories and connect with others who have had similar experiences. This type of peer support can be helpful for those in recovery. For support, search for Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous groups near you. For additional resources to support your recovery, explore Google’s recovery resource map.

Mental Health Resources

You are not alone. Mental health support is available and free to all Virginians.

  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) for free and confidential support any time, any day of the year, if you are in distress.
  • Call or text the Mental Health America of Virginia (MHAV) Warm Line if you are experiencing mental health challenges or have specific questions about recovery. To see when the Warm Line is available, check MHAV’s website.
    • Call 866-400-MHAV (6428).
    • Text MHA to 741741.

High-Quality Treatment

Take the first step toward recovery today. Learn about the indicators of a high-quality, effective treatment program.

Treatment info